Tracheal Collapse in Dogs – Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM Can Help!
Tracheal Collapse is a chronic and progressive disease involving the windpipe and trachea.
How the Trachea Collapses:
When rings of cartilage are either not formed correctly at birth or they weaken for some reason during development, the cartilage rings get increasingly flatter until the trachea collapses. This causes exceptionally labored breathing and chronic coughing. This condition is either present at birth or can be developed over time. Tracheal Collapse can also be caused by respiratory disease, Cushing’s disease and even heart disease.
What Are the Symptoms of Trachea Collapse?
Tracheal Collapse is prevalent in small breed dogs like toy poodles, Yorkies, Maltese, Chihuahua and Pug, to name a few.
Here are the main symptoms:
- Chronic wheezing and labored breathing
- Sudden onset of dry cough
- A cough that sounds like a goose honk
- Uncontrolled coughing when the dog is picked up or pressure is applied to their neck
- Dogs can turn blue if they get overexcited or stressed
Suggested Treatment Options:
- Cough Suppressants
- Sedatives to reduce anxiety
- Weight management
- Use of a harness as opposed to collars
- Insure a smoke-free and pollutant-free environment
- Supplementation with Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM
- Surgery – AS AN ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT!
If you or someone you know has a dog with Tracheal Collapse we would love to hear from you. Flexicose is a superior quality Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM complex.